Big changes hit the Triangle’s soccer world Tuesday as the owner of the local professional team proposed plans to push for a Major League Soccer bid, form a women’s professional team and seek a new stadium with a capacity of more than 20,000 seats.
The U.S. Supreme Court has made clear over the past quarter century that racial gerrymandering is an unconstitutional no-no, but partisan gerrymandering is still permissible. The question is: How do you tell the difference? Especially when the Voting Rights Act allows for some consideration of race to ensure minority representation, and when party affiliation often correlates with race.In cases from Virginia and North Carolina, the Supreme Court seemed unsure on Monday how to balance these...
Malinda Maynor Lowery is a Lumbee Indian whose family goes back more than 10 generations in Robeson County. Lowery was born in Lumberton, N.C. but raised in Durham, where from an early age, she often fielded the question, “what are you?” Although she grew up in a family with a strong sense of Native identity, this question stayed with her much of her life, and eventually became the subject of much of her academic and documentary work. Lowery earned a masters in documentary film from Stanford...
Like & Follow WUNC
- Trump says Air Force One Boeing order should be cancelled
- Libya conflict: IS 'ejected' from stronghold of Sirte
- Brazil crisis: Rio riot police battle unpaid workers
- Hammarskjold death: UN asked to launch fresh inquiry
- Aleppo battle: Syria forces 'seize more rebel-held areas'
- Angela Merkel endorses burka ban 'wherever legally possible'
We bring the issues, personalities, and places of North Carolina to you.